Skip to main content

Healthy Post Workout Snacks

Healthy Post Workout Snacks

Sharing a roundup of some of my favorite post workout snacks and ideas for fueling around your workouts. 

Hi friends! How’s the morning going? I hope you’re having a great one so far! I’m over here editing podcast content and have client calls the rest of the day.

For today, I wanted to chat a bit about workout fueling and some pot workout snacks. While I am a certified nutrition coach, personal trainer, and Integrative Health Practitioner, these are just friendly general suggestions. As always, reach out to your personal RD or health team for personalized advice.

As we all know, I looove working out. Some days are easier than others, but I experience so many amazing benefits from taking the time to move my body each day; I’m sure many of you can relate. It gives me mental clarity, energy, strength, confidence, and I love checking the box towards long-term health. After I work out, I usually have a meal or a healthy snack. Fueling yourself post exercise can maximize performance, speed up muscle recovery, and restore energy levels.

Just a heads up that not all snacks are created equal—some can derail progress.

Today I wanted to share a roundup of healthy post workout snacks that will help refuel, rebuild muscle tissue, and help you feel satisfied after sweaty workouts.

10 Healthy Post Workout Snacks

There’s a lot of nuance to workout fueling: how hungry are you? What time of day is it? What type of workout are you doing? What did you already eat today?

My very general rule of thumb is nothing or a little carbs before a workout, protein + carbs afterwards. When you include carbohydrates and protein, this can help restore glucose levels, support muscle repair and post workout recovery.

Here are some ideas for store-bought snacks and homemade recipes that include both plant-based and traditional meat protein sources.

Is It Healthy To Eat After A Workout?

Eating after a workout is one of the keys to recovery, whether it’s a snack or a meal. It depends on the timing of your workout.

Intense workouts break down muscle tissue and deplete glycogen stores.

Some of the benefits of eating after a workout:

Muscle recovery and repair – Provides essential amino acids for protein synthesis.

Restores energy – Replenishes glycogen through carbohydrates. When you combine protein and carbs, this can potentially enhance this.

Reduces muscle soreness – Supports faster healing and reduces inflammation.

Optimizes performance – Fuels the body for future workouts. You can crush your workouts if you’re depleted!

Superfood smoothie recipes

What Is A Healthy Snack After A Workout?

A healthy post workout snack combines high quality protein (20-30 grams) with complex carbohydrates to support muscle recovery.

Here are some of my go-t0 options for store-bought protein bars, simple homemade snacks, and grab-and-go ideas.

Healthy Post Workout Snacks

1. Greek Yogurt with Peanut Butter and Berries

Protein-rich Greek yogurt with berries and peanut butter or almond butter.

This snack provides at least 15 grams of protein, carbs for energy, and healthy fats for satiety. If you’re dairy-free, simply have some plant-based yogurt and mix in some of your favorite protein powder (I like EquiLife Daily Nutritional Support, Truvani, and NOW Foods)

2. Protein Smoothie with Spinach and Protein Powder

Combine almond milk, banana or berries, spinach, and a scoop of high quality protein powder. I’ll also often add cocoa powder and/or peanut butter.

Why it works: Smoothies are super easy to digest, ideal for muscle repair and replenishing energy post workout.

3. Rice Cakes with Peanut Butter Protein Fluff and Fruit

I love to have a couple of rice cakes and make a peanut butter protein fluff. Just add peanut butter, your favorite protein powder, and a little almond milk to a bowl. Stir it up until it becomes a fluffy texture and spread on the rice cakes. Top with any fruit you like!

4. Cottage Cheese with Grain Crackers and Veggies

Pair protein-rich cottage cheese with fiber-filled crackers and sliced cucumbers or peppers.

I recommend this as a snack because it’s super filling has a ton of protein, and tastes delicious. Since I’m dairy-free and can’t have cottage cheese, please enjoy it for meeeee.

5. Homemade Energy Bites

Here are some of my go-to energy bites with almond butter, protein powder, honey, and dried fruit.

This combo provides a healthy mix of carbs, protein, and fats for post workout recovery. It’s also portable so you can just put some in a little container and you’re good to go.

6. Turkey, Tuna, or Chicken Wrap with Hummus

Use a whole grain wrap, sliced turkey or chicken, and hummus. Add leafy greens and sliced veggies for extra nutrients.

I feel like a wrap is the perfect meal. You can customize it how you like, it’s portable, and hits all of the boxes for protein, fat, and carbs.

7. Hard-Boiled Eggs with Grain Crackers

Pair hard-boiled eggs with whole-grain crackers for a nutrient-dense snack. I also like to add avocado slices, sriracha, and everything but the bagel seasoning.

8. Protein Bar with Natural Ingredients

When I buy store-bought protein bars, I aim for minimal ingredients and at least 10-15 grams of protein. My favorites are EquiLife (lower on the protein, so I’d have an egg or something else with it), Truvani bars, Go Macro, and Aloha.

9. Sardine Mash

I like to mash sardines in a bowl with avocado mayo, sriracha, and everything but the bagel seasoning and scoop it up with Smple Mills crackers. It’s SO tasty – like a tuna salad, but better- and the kids love it, too!

10. Quinoa Bowl with Grilled Veggies and extra protein

A small bowl of cooked quinoa or rice topped with roasted veggies, any leftover protein you have from dinner the night before (or some chickpeas), and a drizzle of olive oil.

This is a great mix of complext carbs and plant protein for optimal recovery.

Tips for Eating Healthy Post Workout Snacks

– Prep snacks ahead of time for convenience.

– Prioritize options with high quality protein and complex carbs.

– Avoid processed sugar and junk foods post exercise—they hinder recovery, and I find that sugar just makes you crave more sugar.

– Hydrate to aid muscle function and repair.

As always, try different post workout meals and snacks to see what works for you! Pre workout and post workout nutrition play a huge role in performance, recovery, and results.

So, tell me, friends: what’s your favorite post workout snack?

xo

Gina

More ideas are here:

Healthy peanut butter snacks

Healthy Trader Joe’s products

The post Healthy Post Workout Snacks appeared first on The Fitnessista.

https://ift.tt/OZfpq5X

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discover The World’s Smallest “Mountain” – The Mount Paltry

Discover The World’s Smallest “Mountain” – The Mount Paltry Move over Everest, there’s a new headline-grabber in town and it’s barely taller than you are. Mount Paltry has exploded on social media as the world’s smallest mountain , a tiny bump in Australia that has become internet-famous precisely because it looks… well, not very mountain-like at all. In a world obsessed with extreme hikes and record-breaking peaks, this modest mound has captured global attention by doing the exact opposite: being proudly underwhelming. Where on Earth Is Mount Paltry? Mount Paltry is described in viral posts as a miniature mountain in Australia, rising only a few metres above the surrounding land. It’s usually shown as a small, rounded rise in an otherwise flat landscape the kind of bump you might expect to call a hill, or even “just a bit of ground,” rather than a mountain. That’s exactly why people love it: the contrast between the dramatic title “world’s smallest mountain” and the very ordinar...

Sculpt Society Review

Sculpt Society Review Sharing my thoughts on Sculpt Society and if I’d recommend this workout! For today’s post, I’m excited to share an updated review on one of my all-time favorite workouts! I was ad-targeted for this one forever, and since I always love trying new body workouts and absolutely love dance cardio, I figured I’d give it a whirl about a year ago. This workout program was founded by Megan Roup ( you can check out her Instagram here ) and I’ll share a full review below. Heads up that this review isn’t sponsored; I signed up for a 7-day free trial and am still a paying happy member over a year later. I’ve tried a lottttt of fitness apps in my routine and am always pumped when I find a winner. You can use my referral link to get a 7-day trial plus one month free on the fitness app! Sculpt Society Review What Is Sculpt Society? As I mentioned above, Sculpt Society was created by celebrity trainer Megan Roup and is a blend of dance cardio, barre, Pilates, and traditiona...

Glamorous Plus-Size Wedding Guest Dresses in Beautiful Styles

Glamorous Plus-Size Wedding Guest Dresses in Beautiful Styles Did you know that over 67% of women in the U.S. wear a size 14 or larger? Yet, despite the demand, the fashion industry has been slow to provide elegant, well-fitting, and on-trend plus- size wedding guest dresses. Many women face limited choices, ill-fitting designs, and outdated silhouettes that fail to highlight their curves. Shopping for the perfect dress can feel like navigating a minefield either the options lack style, the fit is off, or the available dresses don’t align with the formality of the event. For years, plus-size women have been told to “hide” their curves instead of celebrating them. Traditional formalwear often lacks the structure, comfort, or aesthetic appeal needed to make plus-size wedding guests feel just as glamorous as their straight-size counterparts. The frustration of sifting through uninspiring racks, struggling with restrictive fabrics, or settling for ill- proportioned designs is all too fami...